This submit might include Amazon or different affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Standing rib roast, or prime rib, is the crown jewel of vacation feasts. At all times tender, juicy, and flavorful, it’s additionally astonishingly straightforward to prepare dinner.
This methodology for cooking rib roast leads to completely cooked beef with a scrumptious crust of garlic and herbs.
Are you intimidated by the thought of cooking massive roasts for the vacations? Don’t be! No less than within the case of this standing rib roast, it’s straightforward and at all times scrumptious.
Significantly, this attractive hunk of prime rib virtually cooks itself. Your solely job is to season it flippantly and let it do its factor. And perhaps make a stunning au jus to go round on the desk.
I’ve been making this beef roast for our Christmas dinner for 18 years operating. So I come at this topic as one thing of an skilled. And I’m more than pleased to go my experience on to you!
What’s standing rib roast?
Sure, standing rib roast is similar factor as prime rib.
Most individuals are extra aware of prime rib, however these are two names for the exact same minimize of beef. It comes from between the sixth and twelfth rib of the cow, and incorporates wherever from 2 to 7 ribs.
The time period “standing” refers to the truth that it’s usually cooked with the ribs down on the roasting pan, in order that the meat stays off the new cooking floor.
It’s also the identical part from which ribeye steaks are minimize, so you’ll be able to see why it’s such a prized piece of beef.
Insider tip! If you order a rib roast, you’ll be able to request the big finish or the small finish. I like to recommend the big finish, because the meat has extra marbling of fats all through, leading to a juicier roast.
Bone-in or boneless?
Rib roasts additionally include the rib bones hooked up or eliminated. I at all times order bone-in, as they add taste through the roasting course of. In addition they assist insulate the meat throughout cooking so the tip result’s juicier.
Some butchers minimize off the bone after which tie it again on, making it simpler to carve the meat whenever you’re able to serve. It is a good contact however not vital, for my part.
When ordering a roast, plan on about ½ to ¾ pound of meat per grownup. The bones add weight to the roast so it’s essential to issue that in. A 5 pound roast serves about 4 to six adults.
How you can prepare dinner a standing rib roast
I discovered my authentic recipe for standing rib roast in Bon Appetit journal. Over time, I’ve modified it in various methods and perfected my method. Listed here are my greatest suggestions for getting it proper:
- Let the roast come to room temperature earlier than cooking. Taking the coolness off earlier than cooking permits the surface to brown higher. And this identical factor applies to many roasted meats and poultry.
- Cook dinner fat-side up. Whereas most rib roasts have loads of marbling all through, this enables the melting fats to moisten and taste the meat because it cooks.
- Excessive warmth, then low warmth. It is a trick I discovered from my father-in-law, in addition to from Bon Appetit. The excessive warmth begins the browning course of shortly, and the decrease warmth permits the progressively prepare dinner by to juicy perfection.
- Slather on the Dijon combination! Standing rib roast is so good, you might get away with simply salt and pepper. However the Dijon with herbs and garlic creates a lovely crust all around the roast that tastes phenomenal. I discover myself choosing away at it as I’m carving the meat.
- Take the meat out a bit early. The goal temperature is between 125F and 135F for medium uncommon to medium. However an enormous roast like this continues to prepare dinner for five to 10 minutes AFTER it’s out of the oven. When you actually prefer it pink, strive taking it out when it hits 118F.
- Make an au jus. A few of the greatest taste from a juicy roast leads to the underside of the roasting pan. Including some broth and a little bit of purple wine and lowering it lets you re-capture that superb taste.
What to serve with standing rib roast?
This roast is our normal Christmas dinner recipe. We wish to shake up the perimeters yearly, however listed here are a couple of concepts:
I additionally extremely advocate serving the roast with an excellent low sugar purple wine. Secco Wine Membership has so many nice choices. Use code FOODDREAMER free of charge transport on 3+ bottles.